Embraer ERJ 145 Flight Simulator

Welcome to the world of home built Embraer simulators

MIP support

The MIP support was made of a two sheets on 18mm MDF - one for the base, and one for the angled panel support. The base is fixed to two centre supports, aligned with the centre pedestal, and resting on the side stands. At the front, it is fixed to the shell formers, to give rigidity.

 

The upright is fixed at 8º - 10º lean back, with the base being planed to give a good fit. The base and the upright are screwed together, and the angle is fixed by a spar fitted under the windshield centrepost.

This is my daughter, Natalie, trying out for size, showing the panels before cutting.

The glare panel is fixed to the MIP support using battens and screws, and the front panel is removable, to allow fitting of the FDS panels.

 

The top panel is MDF, and trimmed with leathercloth - drops into place, and holds the MIP panel with a batten, but is not fixed to allow maintainance.

Monitor support

I am using two 17" for main displays, and one 15" for standby and EIACS. To get the closest fit to the frames, the casing of the monitors is removed, and the advantage of the 18mm MDF support allows for an exact sized hole to be cut, in line with the frames, and the monitors supported simply by adding MDF supports at the rear of the panel.

I have not cut out all of the holes in the FDS panel, as some are not yet needed, but can be cut in the future if required.


 

As you can see, there is plenty of room at the back of the panel to allow the addition of interface cards etc.

All Fitted

Although I have some colour matching problems, and have yet to fully set up the PMRJ software, the result is impressive.

 



Fitting the Glare Panel controls

I got around to fitting the FDS glare panels and wiring up, although not yet complete. I'm using LEDs for backlighting, as its essentially a closed box.

Close up of the MCP wiring - I used the FDS guide to make a start, then made up a "production line" method of wiring, using a pegboard to gauge wire lengths, then wiring the same terminal of each switch with the same colour, repeating the steps, until the wiring was completed.

I added the shrink cover as a second step - this allowed a quality check for bad soldering - pulling the wire to test the solder - this found several bad connections, mainly in the hard to solder terminals on the buttons.

To achieve the best lighting, I made a perspex back panel, with holes to allow the wiring to pass through, and added LEDs, glued to provide lighting in the right areas.

I found reasonable looking knobs in a local electronic shop - here painted grey, and below as they come.

 

A picture showing the lighting during daytime

A poor picture, but the effect of the backlighting using the LED on a perspex backer, is very effective,

and dimmable using the potentiometers in the glare wing panels.

Here is the back of the MIP with the 220V supply and USB connections done

I made a computer rack, based on wheeled trolley, using the drawer sliders I bought for the seats, so access is easier for maintenance.

At the front of the sim is the rack for the computers, which slides in and out for access.

Typically, I guess, I have a mix of PCs, acquired over the last couple of years